Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Life and Perils of Flying High

As I write I am fighting daily to adapt to the high life that so many have sought to have. On the front it seems highly desirable, even the accomodation at the Grand Hyatt, is first class. What a way to travel and what a contrast it is from my backpacking days. A few sneak previews.


Oversized bed for me only.



My office table.





My Sofa and Bar.


Wardrobe and Safe.


So what you may ask, is the peril of flying high? After all, flying first class, frolicking in the best accomodation available, and tasting the best foods; is the human soul as incorrigible as to ask for more in life?

The fact is, affluence and nobility, for me, is an acquired taste. Adamantly , many of us are not born in such settings where conversation is street-smart and sophistication is a pre-requisite. Maybe at the core I am still an uncomplicated fella, learning how to swim in a sea of sharks.

In such an environment, there is no forgiveness to be sought. The recent dismissal of a fellow colleague, M , brought me into the rude shock that if you are not going to fly, your crew will drop you from the ship at 11,000 feet altitude. Whether you brought your parachutes with you is another thing. Working in such a tense situation is mind-wrecking. That is likened to a situation to be thrown overboard anytime you have lost your use.

Nevertheless, I am a warrior that has fought my way to this position. I am confident of my own skills , albiet lacklustre and lacking in the sophistication of the seniors, bottomline is, I have survived better and in worse scenarios than any of them. In my writing I hope to vindicate my own philosophy, hopefully to bring back some of my confidence.

I now realise that at 11,000 feet altitude, that flying high is an ugly game. No hi's and bye's and how are you's. It is Darwinian selection at its best. I do miss the family like cultures of the past, the human warmth. Part of the experience is to shed some light on the contrast of both the past and present.

Who are these people I see daily? I meet them, I greet them, yet I cannot see them. They are ghosts, because of their hopes and expectations, it seems they live on an entirely different parallel and dimension. Here and there when they awake, I have to take caution not to be stung by their arsenal of weapons.

So where is the Joy? Where is happyness? I cannot answer this question anytime soon. I would just have to bite the bullet and go. I may be thrown out anytime soon, 21st of August being my time for confirmation. If I have to go , I will blaze a trail so bright that when I come around, all will be in ashes. If I stay I will just have to evolve and take solace in the fact that at the very least, I still remain impressed by the integrity and style of my Boss.

Happyness, it remains elusive, and yes , you can't really buy it of the shelf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home