Monday, June 19, 2006

Sidetrack:


This was not the life I was accustomed to : working at night-time, people calling me on the phone 24/7 everyday, getting up late, feeling powerless at myself when clients deferred me.

Outside was a new life, and I wanted it, whatever it was.All the indoctrination and make belief that the sacrifice was for financial freedom seemed like a joke now. Before I led a life of passive servitude and self sacrifice because I always put customers before me,Though I always knew I was taken for granted, I didn’t mind, cos I was making a better living than most people.The false sense of security from whatever scraps of wealth foraged only told me one thing: to be financially free was a must, but this was not the way.

Looking at my manager, I actually have nightmares about what I was to become,I actually wake up in cold swear having my boss appear in my dreams.Nobody knew the burden, nobody cared.To everyone I was just a money foraging jackel, my eyes piercing through them to skewer them and take advantage of them.

However whenever they needed someone to do the paperwork and legwork, the least enterprising of all business (because with the number 18002488000 everyone could do it on their own), I suddenly became the handyman for everything.

It’s a lonely road. In the company I had been successful with decorations and promotions, which was futile, as I knew for certain my team was beyond human redemption: a wrong mix of working class workers trying to be independent.

So what does it mean to be financially free? I am financially free now; at least for the next 30 days.I’m free to do most of what my heart desires, mostly to travel long distances and to do art.I think intrinsically, everyone wants to be happy: some desire it passively, others simply wage a war to achieve it.

I still maintain that sound financial planning is a necessity, but not to the point of obsession now.If my good friends’ family members don’t believe a word I say, so be it.If friends want to avoid talking about money cos its sensitive(to which part of their being, I can never imagine) so be it.I’ll still maintain the words I say as they are built on logic and a desire for more intellect in the course of our lives.

Our country was not built on ignorance, yet in all its education and high literacy levels most of our common sense is still very much set back, especially in financial enlightenment.

Back to the town of Dalat. This must be the best best place thus far in my trip.Internet is free, the rooms are basically 3 star standards with TV and hot baths for backpacker guesthouse prices.Dinner was at French restaurant Ngouc du, with 3 course dinners and wine for 5usd.

However, this romantic little town is meant for lovebirds, not for travelling alone…apparently this town is a hotspot for locals to spend their honeymoon. The weather is so nice here-not too cold and never warm-that I might just fall asleep here for a week, taking treks to the jungle and editing my photos.

I’m nearly finishing the book:” survival in the killing fields”. Strongly advisable for anyone of us feeling that your life sucks and your work sucks and your boss does not like you. At approx the time when our parents were out making out and having the time of their lives, these people for 4 yrs between 75-79 were having their children killed, pregnant women having their babies sliced out alive, surviving on leaves, frogs and some rice; and all under the propaganda of some abstract idealism of utopia. It is really very similar to Orwell’s 1984, well, except worse. People were killed for nothing here. As a result all infrastructure including roads, electricity and amnesties are still very backward up to this day.(except for the tourist industry)So it is a sobering thought that I’d have never chanced upon just cooped up in my own work and my own struggle.


The Great and Prospering SP Seelingling

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home