Sunday, June 18, 2006


On the Trappings of a Career

The bane of my life came when the day dad went into the discussion of contributing to the family income.Youy see, the interesting about me is that morality and piety is not one of my functions.I function from cold logic when the frail make of irrational emotions do nothing to help but to dramatize simple facts.The fact for me is that I pretty much made out on my own, earning my own keep since 15.Hell, even the bulk of the university fees were paid for by my own bank loan.(By the way, my Mum is in fact receiving monthly disbursements fo that amount, kind of like an annuity.) So imagine the outrage of audacity when he brought up " monthly contributions".Well, in my honest confucian study language, fuck all that piety crap.

The trappings of poor financial blueprinting was that there was always scarcity and a great deal of scrimping and savings on items that mattered to human dignity and subsequently splurging on a 39inch TV.My family has taught me nothing in that aspect.

I am a manifestation of fury and drive in sales.I remember my agent days, when I was in top form, I could close anyone in 30 minutes.Even strangers. Yet my career is mapped by a mixture of my own misjudgement and mismanagement.But one thing I regretted was punting away the bulk of what I earned on the SGX and letting all the glitter get to my head. Heck, I must be one of the youngest in my cohort to drive my own car and making my own business.

Truth is, I liked the thrill and satisfaction of closing. I liked the charm and suaveness required to lull people into the buying impulse. For a while, I was all about that. All my artistic talent was forgotten, or rather adapted to this mode of survival. To achieve this I had to shut out all of the previous perceptions about money and poverty altogether, kind of like in denial.As a result, I spent extravagantly, held myself on a cloud of fantasitical wealthy mode.In retrospect I think true wealth is really less idealistic but heck it doesn't hurt to be outrageous everynow and then.
Only a few people I've met matched up to my levels of drive, truth to speak. I cannot tolerate incompetence, in whatever form.So when I see inefficiency and lack, I try to turn it around to ideas and abundance. At S-bank this was utterly violated as the corporation saw more need to manouveour its people in a merry-go-round-cum- musical-chairs mode rather than to cut through the jargon and get to the core to the business. In AIA people were so at the core of business that it became vulgar and we drew more and more curtains to convince ourselves of the flawed product.

So hell, fuck all the corporate bullshit. I'm here to make my mark. Safe to speak, my competence and knowledge in techniques have matured over the years and I am a shark among fishes.
Put me in the water and I will propel forth with so great a fury of speed that none will be in sight.I am long disillisioned with the stalwarts of organisations; these members are like algae, they appear only to pick up scraps, and when all is in balance they are as good as dead.

Time is gaining on me. I do not believe that I would live forever, and I do not want to retire at 55 with a 42 inch LCD HDTV in front of which I would languish and die. I must swim and I must survive. If this is a race I shall come in with the kings amongst kings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home