Sunday, June 18, 2006


4march2006 2202 Cambodia time, Phnom Pehn , Cambodia Capital

I've just eaten something very very weird, that's a chick embryo inside an egg.Also I've forgotten not to take street ice, and went ahead with soursop ice.Dinner was at my guest house with a breathtaking view to the lake in Phnom Pehn.Things are nowhere cheap here, and people are not like Thai, everyone seems to be wanting to rip your wallet out and vaccuum it dry.So far in my journey I've not really stopped for resting, dwelling not more than a single night in each location.Hence I've covered: Bangkok--Aranya Prathet--Siem Reap--Phnom Pehn in a matter of 4 days. Tommorow will be set for Vietnam. The bus trip to PP city was very exciting. In short somebody in front of our bus was riding on a bike, and attempting to strangle someone in a car also in front.Apparently the bus decided to give chase to the car as well. The driver of the car must not be very popular.In the end our bus screwed up after attempting to block the car's detour route.It's gear box went up.Luckily delay was minimal.Back to PP city. PP city is a very dusty and depressing place to be in, not to mention hot. The highlight of the day was actually dinner by the lake.

Pol Pots dearth angels and poor souls.

Hope they are set free soon


After setting down my stuff at 1400hrs I immediately set out for Cheoung Ek Killing fields, which is 15Klicks away and a ton of dust apart. Throughout the journey even with my scarf on i ended choking on dust, and the end result, CE killing fields is hardly worth it.It is actually a pagoda or shrine with a tower high of skulls. Apart from that its actually nothing except for a few posters and a very rich uncle collecting usd 2 for entry

Children and women killed and recorded at S21

Bed at which men are shackled and beaten to death,

the photo behind depicts one with his skull showing

from the beatings.

Then we're of to Toul Sleng S21 muesuem which is actually very depressing as its used as a premise for torture and deaths of some thousands of khmers.This includes children, mothers with babies, pregnant women and old people.Pol pot obviously has a very twisted notion of state welfare. Apparently he burned all culture and commited genocide against all educated people in ways you can never imagine.Families of teachers doctors and monks are tortured, electrocuted, had their fingers took off with pliers, heads in sewage water,etc.I do not know the rationale for doing this, especially against children.

Anyways, I'd be uploading my photos soon as there's no such service in PP city.Within there'e actually images of the cells, and skulls and torture beds.Not very cheerful to look at, but it makes you realize how trivial our problems of traffic, HDB and people lacking in financial knowledge seem in comparison. It's rather sobering.

Motor riders here HAVE ESP. I've verified it. They actually can sense oncoming traffic and weave in and out.And most people don't get angry at traffic though it's hot it's dusty and aircon is not common in cars here.I really have got to take a rest, perhaps at Dalat at Northern Vietnam Highlands.Not in this dusty city...it's also far too hot to sleep or relax...I take about 5 baths an average each night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home