Sunday, June 18, 2006




3march2006 13:01 Cambodia time, Siem Reap, Cambodia



Angkor Wat,
nun resting on pane of stone window






I've just finished viewing Angkor Wat... which is magnificent only in scale and size....It's very touristy, kind of like the Singapore Zoo except that the animals are missing.I prefer the one that I went last time, which is Ayutthaya in Thailand. It's very similar except this one is bigger.

Ok ok let me tell you how I got here.....First I flew to Bangkok, then went to this Hualamphong Station which is very creepy with many people that look like criminals. Thereafter I thought of going to Thanon Khaosan to stay, thinking its cheaper, but that place has become hell on earth, with decadent ang mos, plus super loud "chiongster" music and the hotels are no longer cheap, starting from 300B (I used to stay for 60B) So I headed back for the station, thinking I might sleep there.

Met this lone jap guy at the station, same plight, whose name is Aki.
So we both stayed there till we realize that the station actually closes at midnite.
We were forced to sit outside, open to the muggers and urchins outside.
One guy tries to chat us up, and I immediately located my


swinging swiss army knife. I manage to cut him short of whatever he's saying, and leave with Aki san. We slept on the floor of a guesthouse which is the "deluxe room" accordingly- but it's 50B. I didnt really sleepso at 5 AM we went off to take the train.The train was v nice and long too, and we quickly find out that hard boiled eggs are the magical food ration on trains. The toilet on train looks like it flushes

outside, but I couldnt find it when I looked out side (while simultaneously flushing) ha ha.Anyways the hell begins when we reach the border town of Aranya Prathet. There I quickly learnt not to speak to anyone till you cross it. Someone tried to overcharge me 200B for filling upmy form as a service for me getting their bus ticket. So I said :" no problem, I'll pay with you together at the counter" and so I refused to pay and there was no payment at the counter.

The bus ride from border town Poipet to Siem Reap is not for everyones taste. In fact if you were from SAF commando unit you'd probably still only half survive the trip. All the roads have no tar on them, and they look like they have been repeatedly bombed. I reached Siem Reap at 11 pm, and found a cheap and quiet Guesthse for 5USD....


Streets of Cambodia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home